Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Testing, testing, 1..2..3...

I was given my first evaluation assignment today. It was good to be working with a real kid. I've been practicing on the neighbors, children of friends, and some of my friends. I've practiced on some locquacious individuals. It was refreshing to work with someone who didn't give wordy answers for a change. When you work with children of superior intelligence, your idea of what's average becomes skewed. Practicing on the children of lawyers and doctors will do that to you. Working with the majority of children in our schools will show you what average really means. These children are, well, average.

I originally thought the kid I was working with had vision problems because when he worked on recreating patterns with blocks, they never matched the example. I was starting to freak out because I had never had someone do that poorly on that task. But as we went along he started to perform better. Whew!!!

When I thought about my first day of testing I realized that I probably didn't take the time to build good rapport. I have to remember that this is all a learning process. I guess the kid needed to warm up to me as well.

BBC

No comments:

 
Free Hit Counter
Free Hit Counter