Wednesday, September 13, 2006

I Want My Mommy!

Today I had to eat lunch with a kid who was distraught because he missed his mommy. Actually I should backtrack, I was sitting an eating lunch when there was an all page for support services to report to the nurse's station. When I arrived the nurse filled me in on this child who was not having a good time at lunch. He was sobbing and telling me that the only thing that would make him feel better was to go home and see his mother. I told him that I would eat lunch with him and the nurse was going to try and call his mother.

We found an office where we could eat and he started to calm down a little bit. I finally convinced him to take out his lunch. Did you know they finally changed Capri Sun packages, now the little straw hole is made of a thinner material. Do you remember trying to poke your straw through the old packages and having the straw tear a gash into the package? Was it only me? I swore off of them after it happened a couple of times. I don't like wearing Capri Sun. Sorry for the tangent.

As we talked I realized that this kid had a really good point. He wanted to see his mom because when he went home from school she was only there for a short time before she left for work. She returned from work after his bedtime. He hardly got to see her. I would be throwing a tantrum too. There are many parents that are working 2nd and 3rd jobs just to make ends meet. Kids like the one I dealt with don't see their parents either. Why isn't this addressed? This must have larger implications on education.

BBC

No comments:

 
Free Hit Counter
Free Hit Counter