Friday, September 22, 2006

Jerry Springer Mom

Sometimes you meet people and you think "Is this for real?" We had a meeting today with a parent who was concerned about her kid's reading ability and behavior in school. We were able to determine that the kid is actually on target academically. He just needs to gain more confidence.

The mother was going on and on about how the kid's former school never kept her informed. Then she starts talking about how she wasn't really there for the kid the first few years of his life. She told us that she was a recovering addict. She told us that she also did some illegal things in the house when she was an addict. I assumed she meant prostitution. I guess the meeting was like therapy for her because she just kept opening up to us. I remember thinking, "Please stop talking." She kept saying things like, "I probably shouldn't be telling you this..." Please, don't tell us anything! I kept looking at the kindergarten teacher's face and she kept trying not to cringe. It got to the point where I had to stop looking at other people in the room because I was afraid that I would start laughing.

The feeling I had about the case quickly deteriorated. At first things seemed positive because the child didn't have as many academic issues as we first believed. But after the mother kept spilling things I became wary of the whole situation. 18 year old daughter that returned home, sugar daddy serving as the kid's father, implied prostitution, and the clincher, she had been clean for only 60 days! The whole time she presented herself as being a recovering addict for the past couple of years. Everyone was under the impression that she had been clean for a lot longer. Alarm bells went off. We will have to keep an eye on this kid's home situation.

No comments:

 
Free Hit Counter
Free Hit Counter