Tuesday, September 05, 2006

First Day

So I started. I'm in an elementary school and I was encouraged by the fact that many of the children were new to the school. Kindergarteners crying and transfers from other schools, towns, states and countries; we were all new today. Misery loves company.

First thing in the morning we had a child that was having a meltdown outside the school. He was afraid to start 1st grade. I watched the school psychologist console him. Correction: I watched the school psychologist console him from far away. I was supposed to be shadowing her, but I wasn't sure how close I needed to be to her at all times. I saw her talk to the parent for a few minutes and before I knew it, the car sped off and my supervisor was left alone on the sidewalk with the child. I made my way over, but I was little scared and excited. At first I was thinking, "Yes, a little excitement in the morning!" But then I realized that I didn't really know what to do. I watched my supervisor do her thing and I was impressed. It took a good amount of time, but she convinced a scared 6 year old to put on his socks and shoes (yeah, he arrived barefoot) and go to class. Actually she put his socks and shoes on for him and carried him into the building. But we were able to convince him to go into the classroom. By the end of the day he seemed fine. I guess that was one victory. Maybe I should keep count, I may need to remember all the little victories.

BBC

No comments:

 
Free Hit Counter
Free Hit Counter