Friday, February 26, 2010

School Psychologist vs. State Assessment

It's that time of year again. The time of year when teachers get depressed, children freak out, and my principal becomes a woman obsessed with security: it's the Annual Statewide Standardized Assessment. I've been neck deep in test manuals, test protocols, and number 2 pencils. Whenever I get into Annual Statewide Standardized Assessment (ASSA*) mode, I can't help but reminisce about the SAT, GRE, and Nationally Certified School Psychologist (NCSP) Exam. The last moments in my life when I would have to take such a monumental test. Now our students take high-stakes tests from 3rd grade into high school.

I ran into one of my old professors today and I was telling her how busy I am this time of year because of ASSA. I told her that other SP's in my district are busy as well. She started to go into this diatribe about what my role should be and that I shouldn't be doing this. Well, what does she expect me to do. First of all, the entire building shuts down because of testing. From 9:00 to noon, there is a test going on in one of the grade levels. During this stressful time, my caseload is off limits. I'm not giving anyone IQ tests during this time. I'm not pulling kids for counseling. I barely see my students during the month of March because they are way too busy. So what am I supposed to do during this time. Did I mention that there is also the strong possibility that I lose my office during testing? We have so many students that need accommodations and modifications during the test that every available room is being used. Every conceivable space is being used so even if I'm not playing an administrative role in this, I would be involved as a proctor.

The level of test security to prevent cheating is pretty serious. The test booklets are kept in locked office. But it's not the security beforehand that's suspect, it the security during the test. It's considered a security breach if: you write down test questions that you happened to see on the test, talk about test questions that you saw on the test, leave a test booklet unattended, lose a test booklet, and if you take a look at test booklets before testing begins, to name a few.

I was discussing this with my intern and we talked about how school psychologists make the most sense as being the person in charge of this. We, more than anyone else, understand the importance of test security and test administration. Also, in this age of high stakes testing, many schools are being investigated for allegations of cheating. Teachers are strongly invested in how their students perform, and if they depend on how well their students perform, then one can understand the lure of cheating. The same goes for the principal. When schools get recognized for improving test scores, the principal and teachers get the accolades. No one goes around congratulating the school psychologist. Therefore, having me in charge of the test booklets before they are distributed makes sense, it's one more layer of security. I considered the thought of having K-2 teachers handle the test booklets, but it would be too tempting to crack one open and see what questions are inside. Who wouldn't want to take a peek to see if what they have been teaching is relevant to what kids will be tested on in a matter of years? Well, it goes back to the SP being in charge. And I don't mind. Besides what else would I be doing for the next 2 weeks.

BBC

No comments:

 
Free Hit Counter
Free Hit Counter