Monday, March 29, 2010

Percy Jackson

I'm not sure how I existed this long without reading Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan. My school is completely enthralled with this series. I dare say, my school is more into this book than Harry Potter or Twilight. It probably helps that our school librarian is into the books as well. I'm a big Greek mythology fan, so this book was a delight. I know a movie was recently released, but like all adaptations, there are some differences between the novel and the film.

Although the book was printed in 2005, there may be some of you out there that haven't read it yet. Well, I suggest that you do. It's a great story for kids with disabilities. From a school psychologist standpoint, there is a lot to like about the story. Percy is dyslexic and has ADHD. But when he finds out that's he's a demigod, or half-blood (half-god, half-mortal) he learns that his impairments are actually strengths and by-products of his "godliness". His dyslexia stems from the fact that he was meant to read ancient Greek, not English. (clever!) And his ADHD symptoms are in fact his battlefield reflexes that allow him to respond to his opponents' moves (hyperactivity) and see things that others cannot (inattention). It's very clever and gives those that have these disabilities a hero that they can identify with. As a plus, Percy also has some absentee father issues, and I know I have plenty of students that can relate to that. The Percy Jackson series is intriguing and I can't wait to read the next one.

BBC

1 comment:

MrsZ said...

I will have to check this out! I love childrens literature anyway, but love that this book follows a child who students I am working with can relate to (well, minus the demi-dog status). Thanks for the recommendation.

 
Free Hit Counter
Free Hit Counter