Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Snitching Ain't Easy

I have a new student that I'm counseling this spring. Our focus in on his anger management skills. He doesn't have any. When he reaches his boiling point, he becomes belligerent with adults, and has a huge persecution complex. Earlier this week, he had an incident involving two girls in his class. According to him, these girls are targeting him and threatening to hit him. One of the girls hit him with a stick at recess. My student became upset of course, but did not tell any of the recess aides. He went on to class and later another girl pushed him into her friend's desk, causing my student to take out the desk and causing a huge commotion. My student had enough and went to approach her when his teacher recognized what was going on and stepped between them. My student was sent to the office to cool off.

When I saw him he told me what happened. He even told me about getting hit with the stick earlier. I asked him why he didn't report any of this to an adult, and he said that nothing ever happens. The kid is actually quite bright because we discussed the reasons for the girls to keep bothering him. He said that they know he would get into major trouble for hitting a girl. So he knew how the consequences would be worse for him. He felt that he couldn't tell any of the recess aides what happened because they wouldn't do anything. He also that the girl would probably call him a snitch for telling.

This just about made my blood boil. The whole snitching thing bothers me because kids get confused and actually endanger themselves because they don't want to be seen as snitches. It doesn't make sense. I hate how the word has changed in meaning. It used to mean someone who was also a criminal reporting someone else's crime for a reduced punishment. Since when did it mean a victim that reports a crime committed against him or her?

I feel like lecturing everyone in my building about what it means to be a snitch. Endangering yourself in the hopes of not being a snitch is idiotic, and I want to work on changing the understanding of the word. Somehow the misunderstood meaning has become the de facto definition and it has remarkably impacted how kids deal with bullying and violence in school. My hope is that I can change that somehow.

BBC

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am a middle school teacher and I am so discouraged with the "snitching" thing myself. There are so many incidents that result in suspensions, police calls, and superintendent hearings that could have been avoided all together if someone would have just spoken up. It seems kids gain more respect by handling the situation themselves. I have come across a lot of material that stems from the hip-hop world. It seems many of the kids favorite rappers and hip-hop artists talk about not snitching and are reinforcing a belief that there is never a reason to help the police. I googled the phrase "snitches get stitches" and there were 42,500 matches! There has to be a way to help kids understand the importance of citizenship and responsibility to their community.

 
Free Hit Counter
Free Hit Counter