Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Racial Balance

So the Supreme Court is handling a new case on racial balance of schools. This court is traditionally conservative so I think it will call the recent practices of schools in Kentucky and Washington as unconstitutional. The sad thing is that most people go to schools that are not racially balanced. I was lucky enough to go to a school with a student population that actually mirrored the demographics of the town.

Right now I'm working in a suburb that has a wealthy part of town and a poor part of town. Children on the south side don't get the resources that children on the north side do. It was interesting to look at a district map that showed how neighborhoods were divided in order to determine where students went to school. I've heard of gerrymandering, but my district is ridiculous. My school's zone looks like a double diamond. All the surrounding areas are a little more wealthier, but not by much. But it is interesting to see how the school zone looks. Who was responsible for determining which streets were in our zone? How is that determined? It just doesn't seem completely legit.

BBC

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a school psychologist intern also and found your blog looking for other school psychologist stuff. Good luck with your assignment.

The Black Briefcase said...

Thanks for reading. I hope you find this entertaining, if not educational. Let all your fellow school psych students know about it. If you have your own blog, let me know about it.

 
Free Hit Counter
Free Hit Counter